Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One question for spiritual/religious founders

I know that speaking of religion or spirituality on the internet is just asking for trouble, but I've had a recurring thought that I want to share...

Given a hypothetical scenario where you are able to speak to a personified spiritual or religious entity of your choice (Jesus, Buddha, etc.), and were allowed to ask 1 question...

I wonder how many people would ask about the meaning of life, whether heaven exists, or what the path to reach enlightenment is, etc.

I wonder how few people would ask a question like "Is there anything I can do to help YOU?" or "Would you tell me about your life?"

I often think that it is a cruel fate to be iconified and made into a symbol.  I think it makes it difficult to see the person underneath all the fanfare.

There are thousands of people claiming to know the will of Jesus and the teachings of Buddha, but how many people know what Jesus' favorite flower is?  Or Buddha's favorite smoothie recipe?




I've got more thinking to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment